Responsibilities of Excavators
- Contact Oregon 811 within two full business days but no more than 10 business days before digging, except for emergencies.
- Ensure all information on the locate request is accurate and contact Oregon 811 if a correction is needed.
- Ensure that utilities have responded before beginning excavation. If a utility has not responded or the markings in the field are incorrect, contact the notification center.
- Contact any other utilities in the area that are not notified by Oregon 811 and report non-members to Oregon 811.
- Dig with reasonable care, following best practices for excavation.
- Contact Oregon 811 in the event of a damaged, dislocated, or disturbed underground facility.
- Call 911 in the event of an emergency involving the release of gas or hazardous materials, injuries, or dangers to the public.
- It is the responsibility of the excavator to maintain locate markings for the life of the ticket or the project.